Spanish Phrases: Basic Spanish words and phrases
The following pages contain some basic Spanish phrases and basic Spanish words.
These vocabulary lists are generally aimed at travellers looking to learn some simple Spanish phrases,
or students either starting out on a Spanish course that are learning their first words of Spanish.
However, a few of the theme-based vocabulary sections are also aimed at GCSE/SAT or highschool level Spanish.
Go to the Spanish words and phrases index
Spanish word searches for iPad
Spanish Word Searches for iPad features and benefits:
- reinforce your basic Spanish vocabulary: 1,400 themed items of core Spanish vocabulary;
- learn just the vocab you need: play with any combination of topics;
- coverage of both Peninsular and Mexican Spanish;
- play an unlimited number of word searches thanks to the app's advanced random generation technique.
Basic Spanish vocabulary and phrases
These pages contain essential Spanish phrases and vocabulary that will be useful across
many situations. If you are just starting out with Spanish, start here!
- Greetings in Spanish
- How to say hello, see you later etc.
- Family members in Spanish
- The names of various family members in Spanish, plus some basic phrases
to use to describe your family in Spanish.
- Spanish prepositions
- A list of the most common prepositions in Spanish with English translations.
- Colour adjectives in Spanish
- How to say some simple colours in Spanish.
Practise with this Colour pairs game.
- Numbers in Spanish
- How to say numbers in Spanish. This section contains audio recordings that will help you
leran to pronounce numbers in Spanish.
Practise with this Number pairs game.
- Common diminutive adjectives in Spanish
- Information on so-called diminutive Spanish adjectives
ending in -ito.
- Clothes in Spanish
- Names of clothes and accessories, plus a few clothes-related phrases.
- Basic function words of Spanish
- Various function words such as question words, basic adverbs,
basic verb forms and pronouns.
- Pets in Spanish
- Learn the names of common pets, and learn how to tell Spanish speakers
that your dog is greedy and demanding.
- Basic Spanish adjectives
- Some basic adjectives of Spanish such as big, small, nice etc.
- Days, months and seasons
- Names of days of the week and months and seasons of the year in Spanish,
plus useful phrases that go with them.
- Basic grammar of Spanish adjectives
- Basic information on the form and position of Spanish adjectives.
- Animals in Spanish
- This four-part section gives the Spanish words for a number of common mammals,
fish and reptiles,
birds (and poultry) and
insects and rodents.
- The human body in Spanish
- This section, organised by section of the body, looks at how to say
the names of various organs and parts of the body in Spanish.
Spanish for specific situations
- Spanish computer vocabulary
- Words describing parts of a computer plus
various phrases describing computer-related activities.
- Around the house in Spanish
- Spanish words for rooms of the house, items of furniture and other items found in
- Bookings and reservations
- Vocabulary useful for making a booking or reservation, including
travel and restaurant reservations.
- Jobs and professions in Spanish
- Spanish names of common jobs and professions, and an explanation of
how to say simple sentences such as he's a teacher.
- Around town in Spanish
- Spanish words for buildings, shops, monuments etc.
- Shopping in Spanish
- Learn the Spanish for names of shops and some
Spanish shopping phrases.
- Asking for directions in Spanish
- Find out how to turn right at the next traffic lights...
- Basic food in Spanish
- Names of some basic types of food, basic meats and seafood.
- Sports and sports phrases
- Various pages with names of sports in Spanish (organised
by category) plus sports phrases, names of
sportsmen and sportswomen in Spanish and
a page of specific Spanish football vocabulary.
- School and education in Spanish
Exams and qualifications
- Describing the weather
- Various phrases and adjectives for describing how the weather is now, or how it was on your holiday.
(Includes some simple hints and links to information on past tenses in Spanish.)
- Housework and daily routine
- Find out how to get up, go to school and hoover the staircase in Spanish.
- Movies and cinema in Spanish
- How to refer to different types of film, plus useful phrases for
going to the cinema and talking about films in Spanish.
- Playing cards and games in Spanish
- Names of common games in Spanish, with phrases and vocabulary used
- Christmas in Spanish
- Don't just stuff your face with Yule log this Christmas—
find out how to do it in Spanish.
Page written by Neil Coffey. Copyright (c) Javamex UK 2011. All rights reserved.